DON'T MISS A NEW LISTING AGAIN!
FREE AUTOMATED EMAIL UPDATES
Once known as Seneacquoteen which comes from the Kalispell Indians and means "crossing" This area was one of the crossing areas of the wild horse trail. The first white man to settle the area was Lyman Markham. In 1864 he built the first ferry across the Pend Oreille River from Seneacquoteen to Markham. Markham was later renamed to Laclede, after a French Engineer that worked for the Northern Railroad. In 1901 Andy Christenson built a sawmill, employing 100 men. The town of laclede started growing around the mill. In 1909 AC white bought the laclede mill and hired another 100 men to build a railroad up Riley Creek to harvest new timber resources. The town continued to grow quickly until August 17, 1922 when the mill and burned down. Instead of rebuilding the mill in Laclede, White built the mill 10 miles upstream in Dover. The houses were moved by barge from Laclede to dover. Today Laclede is home to the Riley Creek mill.
© 2018 Selkirk Association of REALTORS All rights reserved. Information deemed to be reliable but not guaranteed. The data relating to real estate for sale on this website comes in part from the Broker Reciprocitysm Program. Real estate listings held by brokerage firms other than Keller Williams Realty are marked with the BR logo and detailed information about them includes the name of the listing brokers. Listing broker has attempted to offer accurate data, but buyers are advised to confirm all items. Information last updated on 2018-10-22.